Tuesday, November 22, 2011

REACTION TO YESTERDAY'S

I guess I was a bit on the negative side but who could have expected Carter's comment which makes one want to walk into the waves and simply keep walking.  Now all the great Irish writers and poets were mad but none more than William Butler Yeats who in some of his writings could make a hatter look sane.  Add Carter's gay and breezy view of the world to Yeats and all I can say is, WHEW!

Carter isn't the only one.  My pal Jerry called last night more negative than I have ever heard him.  I still think there is a chance that the Euros can wiggle out of the mess they have put themselves in but somebody has to blink.  Lately, there have been calls for the IMF to step into the fray but there is no doubt that with Mme. Lagarde running the show suspicion of her motives will be high.  She would appear with anything but clean hands which should have been thought of when the Euros decided to back her so the French wouldn't throw a hissy fit but then again, none of them thought we would reach this stage.  There were two far more qualified candidates who are sorely missed right now.  Short sighted thinking; very short sighted.

It seems to me that the only pot of money left to access quickly is the ECB which means the blinker is going to have to be Teutonic in form and that may not happen.  I can't say that I blame them.  The funny--if that is the right word--aspect of this is that the contest of wills in the end will come down to France and Germany, reinacting  European history for yet another time.  As I have said before, M. Sarkozy is in a bad place politically and Frau Merkel knows it...not that she's so safe herself...and her bet I am sure is she can hang on longer with Sarkozy's fate to be settled by April at the very latest.  Whether Carter is to be proven correct is, in my mind, not yet settled but the forecast is poor.  Rather than Yeats, I think I would stick closer to home with CCR:

                        Long as I remember the rain been pourin' down
                        Clouds of myst'ry pourin' confusion on the gound
                        Good men through the ages tryin' to find the sun;
                        And I wonder, still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain?

Carter, who's out there?





No comments:

Post a Comment