Friday, August 5, 2011

QUITE A DAY--PART II

I didn't write about it because I ignored what my old boss Col. Frank Carmody had drummed into my head so many years ago: intelligence guys do not deal in intentions, they deal in capabilities.  I told myself that S & P wouldn't issue a downgrade--not after the heat (deserved) they had taken as a result of the financial melt-down and the possible enhanced consequences of such an action as a result.  But they did, and I blew it despite the rumors that swirled around all day.  Stupid.  I'm sorry, Frank.  He rests in honored glory in Arlington National and I hope I didn't disturb that rest.

What will happen on Monday? The stock market will open down...probably big time and.......not much else I suspect because as I said the other day, where else are you going to put it?  The Administration will go nuts over the week-end and has already called this a "political decision"--whatever the hell that means. It is already claiming it is unjustified because of a 2 trillion dollar mistake in accounting as a result of starting from the wrong base-line (which all of you understand as a result of the blog of a couple of days ago), but as my Yankee uncle used to say, "2 trillion over ten years aint a pee-hole in the snow."   The bond guys had been talking about the fact that we probably deserved a down-grade so I suspect yields might move a bit but not much.  But we are the United States of America and we are supposed to be better that this.  The year's first tomato was great but I feel like crap.

Sorry, again.  See you on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment